Apr 23, 2008

Quickie

I had a couple unofficial meetings with the Ministry of Ag now. They are
somewhat supportive but suspicious. Everybody keeps asking me why I am
in Swaziland, what organization I am from. Everyone is so used to people
coming from some NGO or another, that they get confused when I say I am
not really with any big NGO.

Theres a company called D1 Oils that planted many many jatropha
trees for biofuel production. This is a for-profit venture and very
large scale. There have been some controversies regarding this project
and this has created, I think, this mood of suspicion.

But, no worries. We will assuage any suspicions by showing that we
are 1. doing small scale trials, 2. open to monitoring by all
stakeholders, and 3. putting these trees under ownership of the
community and local NGOs (we are not taking any profits or other benefits).

Things are progressing well, I think. There are some things to worry
about, but its headed in the right direction for sure.

I met Ruth and Rudy in Mbabane just a couple days ago. They are
teaching and living up north of Mbabane. They are also alumni of the
ECHO internship program so they are familiar with agricultural work
(including moringa). They invited me out to see their farm up north
tomorrow. Ill be staying out there for a day or two days. They offered
to act as a nursery for future moringa propagation (produce seedlings)
which is very nice.

Today, I met with Polly, the PCV that is producing and selling
handbags with her women's support group. In 6 days, she will show me
their products. We can definitely apply the things we learned with MKU
to help with along with this.

There are these little girls forming a soccer team by where Ruth and
Rudy live. I said that we can get jerseys (shirts) done and sponsor
them. swaziAID sponsored girls soccer team, its gotta be done.

No comments: