Aug 17, 2009

Settling Down

Today, I met up with my friend Samkeliso. He's kindly offered a couch in his rather well furnished apartment right outside Mbabane, the capital city. This part of town is called Makholokholo, Last year, Abhi, Alex, and I passed it daily on the way back to our house in Estibeni, just a quarter mile down the road. Sam's apartment is better than my place in Tampa; he has a big flat screen tv, sound system with standing speakers, dvd player, satellite channels, matching couch and love seat, and a stylish coffee table. Makholokholo is Swazi upper middle class. I've found a place to live for a while.

 

Now, work.

 

In the morning, I had breakfast with Thokozane and a new partner, the Rehmeyers from Tambankulu. Thokozane was giving them plans for a moringa solar drier. We had a very nice breakfast and chatted about the Rehmeyers first harvest and future plans. They will be providing moringa powder for the community as well as training and assisting in growing. Thokozane told me about a friend who had been sick; vomiting, inability to keep down food, couldn't go to work, and bedridden. Thokozane brought some moringa powder to him and he drank it with morning tea. Two weeks later, he's up and going back to work. He even met with Thokozane in town and asked where he could get more! I know, I know... the context is unclear, its only one incidence, its probably exaggerated, etc. etc. But its not the only incidence, this has been happening many times throughout this previous year. Even if its exaggerated, these anecdotal results still suggest significant effectiveness.

 

After breakfast, I visited a few other Swazi friends at their offices. Some have received promotions to positions with aid / development agencies; NERCHA, World Vision, and WFP. They're going to connect me with the right people to discuss moringa. Its  such a huge change from the previous year when I made cold calls into these monolithic groups and usually got blown off. With the support of our partners and all our previous contacts, I can hit the ground running.

 

 

Was at dinner with  a few friends. One of them ordered a fajita. The server came to tell her that they were out of tortilla wraps, but it was okay, cause they would just give her a side of rice and it would be the exact same. That made me smile. Im not belittling the server, why should he know anything about mexican food anyways? It was just a revealing and funny event at the meeting of cultures.

 

Next week, Thokozane and I are headed out to visit all our partners and discuss with them the next stage of the project. They have already integrated moringa into their normal programs but have wanted to expand the outreach. Ill be taking plenty of pictures! Abhi, Alex, and I left Swaziland without any trees, just seeds and plans. Now, the fruits of the labor!

 One of the pictures is of the place where I'm staying; my bed the couch, my work desk the coffee table. Another is the view out the front door. It is a small 4 unit apartment complex with a resident rooster and hen. Finally, back on the kombis riding around town.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: